Dr. Jonathan F. Fanton
– world-renowned expert in the field of education, President of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, President of the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation (1999-2009), President of the New School for Social Research (1982-1999). Awarded an EHU Honorary Doctorate on January 26, 2018 for an outstanding contribution towards supporting academic freedom and advocacy for a post-totalitarian transformation in Central and Eastern Europe.
Dr. Hans-Gert Pöttering
– renowned German politician, President of the European Parliament (2007-2009), Chairman of the Konrad Adenauer Foundation. Awarded an EHU Honorary Doctorate on November 17, 2017 for the outstanding contribution towards promotion of the European integration and continuous commitment towards supporting academic freedom.
– renowned French writer, film director, and photographer. Awarded an EHU Honorary Doctorate on July 17, 2013 for his outstanding contributions to the development of education in the arts and culture and his contributions to strengthening cultural cooperation between France and Belarus.
– a renowned Belarusian poet and translator. Awarded an EHU Honorary Doctorate on May 19, 2010 in recognition of his outstanding contribution to the development of the Belarusian language and culture, as well as his effective promotion of intercultural dialog.
Fr. Alexander Nadson
– was awarded an EHU Honorary Doctorate on November 27, 2008. The EHU’s academic community honored Fr. Nadson’s research accomplishments in the fields of Belarusian history and the history of Christianity, as well as his contributions to promoting Belarusian culture and raising awareness about Belarus worldwide.
Prof. Peter Pavlowski
– was awarded an EHU Honorary Doctorate on February 26, 2004 for outstanding contributions to the development of European dialog.
Prof. Andrea Riccardi
– an Italian researcher of Church history in the early modern period and the contemporary world, professor of Contemporary History, Roma Tre University, Italy. Awarded an EHU Honorary Doctorate on December 11, 2003.
Prof. Rolf Stober
– is an outstanding German lawyer and political figure, project coordinator of a number of international educational and research programs in the field of law, and an honorary doctor of Dortmund University, Germany. Awarded an EHU Honorary Doctorate on April 24, 2003 for his valuable contributions to the development of economic law and the strengthening of the collaboration between the Republic of Belarus and the Federal Republic of Germany in the sphere of legal personnel training.
– is a prominent French diplomat, public figure, writer; Commander of the Legion of Honour Order, and Grand Cross of the Order of Merit. Awarded an EHU Honorary Doctorate on March 24, 2003 for his outstanding accomplishments in the sphere of diplomacy and human rights advocacy.
– is a Russian poetess, translator and scholar of Christian culture. Her poems have been translated into German, French, Italian, Swedish, Dutch, Greek, Albanian, Hebrew, Serbian, Polish, and Finnish. Ms. Sedakova has received a number of prizes in literature, including the Vatican’s Vladimir Soloviev Award (1998). Awarded an EHU Honorary Doctorate on March 3, 2003 for her outstanding accomplishments in religious education in Eastern and Western contemporary culture.
Prof. Alfred Grosser
– is a prominent French educational and cultural figure, head of academic programs at the Paris Institute of Political Studies, ISC Paris School of Management, and other French higher educational establishments. President of the Association for Support of International Cooperation in Culture, honorary president of the Association for Support of Young Activists of Culture and Art, France. Recipient of a number of awards, and holder of several decorations (France, Germany). Awarded an EHU Honorary Doctorate on December 15, 2001 for his contributions to the development of culture and education, and for his accomplishments in political studies and the humanities.
Prof. Krzysztof Zanussi
– a renowned Polish film director and public figure, president of the Federation of European Film Directors, member of the Pontifical Commission of Culture, Poland. Awarded an EHU Honorary Doctorate on May 7, 2001 for his outstanding accomplishments in cinematographic art and his contributions to contemporary culture.
– a German businessman, head of the Grieger Mallison consulting company, philanthropist. Awarded an EHU Honorary Doctorate on October 24, 2000 for his outstanding accomplishments in the sphere of economic cooperation and for contributions to the development of good neighborly relations between the Belarusian and German peoples.
Prof. Sergey Averintsev
– an outstanding Russian researcher in culture and classical philology, academician of the Russian Academy of Sciences, employee of the Institute of Slavic Studies at the University of Vienna. Awarded an EHU Honorary Doctorate on May 15, 2000 for his contributions to the development of scholarship and Christian culture.
Prof. Algirdas Brazauskas
– President (1993-1998) and Prime Minister (2001-2006) of the Republic of Lithuania. Awarded an EHU Honorary Doctorate on May 11, 2000 for his outstanding accomplishments in developing and strengthening relations between the Lithuanian and Belarusian peoples.
Prof. Nikolaus Wyrwoll
– a renowned theologian, researcher of the dialog between the Catholic and the Orthodox Churches, director of the University of Regensburg’s Institute of the Eastern Church, Germany. Awarded an EHU Honorary Doctorate on January 15, 1999.